Ooni Koda
  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Newsfeed
  4. /
  5. Over 1,000 employees at Mangalia Shipyard enter furlough...

Over 1,000 employees at Mangalia Shipyard enter furlough as Damen files for bankruptcy

July 3, 2024

More than 1,000 of the 1,500 employees of the Mangalia Naval Shipyard have entered technical unemployment by the end of this year, Rador Press Agency announces, quoting Radio Constanta.   The “Navalistul” Free Trade Union and the management of the construction site have agreed to extend the Collective Labor Agreement until March next year and to resume collective bargaining in January. The first contracts could also appear from next year, says union leader Laurentiu Gobeaj?.   “Starting next year at the earliest, there is a good chance that major projects will be signed that will ensure a working fund for several years, but until then only a small number of employees will continue their activity, and a significant number will be, for a long period, in technical unemployment”, says Laurentiu Gobeaja.   The salaries for the month of June of the employees at the Damen Mangalia Shipyard are budgeted, and technical unemployment for them is ensured for at least 4 months. The Directorate of the Construction Site announced, at the end of May, that the entry into technical unemployment is inevitable.   “In March we informed you that we were facing a difficult period and that we would need to adopt cost-cutting measures to overcome it (…) Today, we are in a critical situation. The construction site is empty and major projects are delayed. Although we have made significant progress in negotiating some major potential projects, these, even if successfully concluded, will not begin until 2025 (…) We have reached a point where a further postponement of the introduction of the technical unemployment measure is no longer possible. This is a difficult decision, but necessary to give our site the best chance of overcoming this critical period and being able to resume our activity in the future. The measure of technical unemployment will be implemented starting on June 3, 2024″, explained the management of the construction site last month.   Meanwhile, Damen Holland requested the judges at the Constanta Court to declare bankruptcy of the Mangalia Shipyard, in which it owns 49% of the shares. The reason would be the existence of unpaid debts, which would amount to approximately 160 million euros.

Read in full - click here
Bucharest to host second stage of International Grand Chess Tour

The second stage of the international Grand Chess Tour, one of the most important chess tournaments in the world, will take place in Bucharest from May 7 to May 16.  The first stage of will take place in Warsaw, Poland. However, the event’s opening will take place on May 6. In addition to these two, […]

Voxxed Days Bucharest 2025, Conference Day. AI, Purpose, and Building the Future of Tech in Romania

Voxxed Days Bucharest 2025 concluded the 2025 edition on 27th March, after two days of successful workshops and conferences.  "I'm grateful we managed to bring together 300 developers and tech team leaders again this year, in a conference dedicated to a passionate developer community. It was a significantly bigger effort than in previous years, given […]

Report: Civil protection shelters in Romania in poor state, could only fit 600,000

Romania’s civil shelters, which are to be used to protect people in the event of armed conflict, are few, unsanitary, and largely obsolete in terms of equipment, according to a report by the Court of Accounts. The audit conducted by the Court of Accounts on the situation of civil...

Untold organizers announce 'mega-festival' in Bucharest this year

The organizers of music festivals Untold and Neversea have signed an agreement with the Bucharest City Hall to organize a "mega-festival" in the capital this year. The large-scale project is set for a pilot edition this year, with plans to have it "grow year by year." It will take place at Arena Naţională. The talks […]

Over half of Romanians in urban areas targeted by online fraud, research shows

Around 61% of Romanians say they have been the target of online fraud attempts, the most common consequences being the infection of the device with malware or viruses (42%) and the loss of money (30%), according to the latest study conducted by Reveal Marketing Research. Of those who have been targeted, 39% have experienced such […]

Showpad opens R&D Hub in Bucharest

Showpad, active in AI-driven revenue enablement technology, announced the official launch of its Research and Development center in Bucharest. With headquarters in Ghent (Belgium) and Chicago (US), Showpad is "strategically positioning its new R&D center to tap into the rich talent pool and burgeoning technology ecosystem of Romania." It also underscores Showpad's dedication to accelerating […]