Ooni Koda
  1. Home
  2. /
  3. Newsfeed
  4. /
  5. Real Estate: Eurostat: Romania remains...

Real Estate: Eurostat: Romania remains the country with the highest percentage of homeowners in the EU

January 24, 2022

In 2020, 70% of the population in the EU lived in a household owning their home, while the remaining 30% lived in rented housing.    The highest shares of ownership were observed in Romania, where 96% of the population lived in a household that owned their home, followed by Slovakia (92%), Hungary and Croatia (both 91%).   In all Member States, except for Germany, owning is most common. In Germany’s case, half of the population lived in a household owning their home and the other half in a rented home. The shares of homeownership were lowest also in Austria (55%) and Denmark (59%).    Eurostat data also show that, at EU level, 53% of the population lives in a house and 46% in an apartment, while the remaining 1% live in another type of space such as a house on rivers, caravans, etc. Ireland with 92% is the country with the highest percentage of people living in a house, on the other hand being Spain where 66% of people live in an apartment.   In Romania, 65.9% of the inhabitants live at home and 34.1% live in an apartment. But Romania ranks last in the EU when it comes to housing size, measured by the average number of rooms per person. While in the EU the average is 1.6 rooms for one person, in Romania it is 1.1 rooms for one person. The best in this respect are Malta with 2.3 rooms per person, followed by Belgium and Ireland, both with 2.1 rooms per person.   Also, when it comes to the quality of housing, which can be measured in several ways including the percentage of the population living in a crowded home, Romania is the country with the highest congestion rate (45.1%), while At EU level, less than 18% of the population lived in a crowded home in 2020, down from 19.1% in 2010.  

The text of this article has been partially taken from the publication:
Read in full - click here
[Feature] 15 years on: How are Bulgaria and Romania doing in the EU?

The latest European Commission health report puts the pair of south-eastern EU accession states last in terms of the overall lifespan of their citizens. Romanians and Bulgarian now die even younger than before.  

Good work, Volodya! Putin resurrects NATO

Saber-rattling over Ukraine puts US-led alliance center stage, downgrading EU.  

President Iohannis: Unification of January 24, 1859 demonstrates importance of project to catalyze energies of Romanian people

President Klaus Iohannis stated on Monday that the Unification of January 24, 1859, demonstrates the importance of the existence of a project to catalyze the energies of the Romanian people."The Unification of January 24, 1859 demonstrates the importance of the existence of a project that catalyzes the energies of our people. In trying times, Romanians […]

Minister Bogdan Aurescu proposed the organisation of a reunion of EU foreign affairs ministers in Kiev

The minister of foreign affairs, Bogdan Aurescu proposed the organisation in Kiev of a reunion of the EU ministers of foreign affairs, which could demonstrate the solidity of the European Union in Ukraine, in the context where Russian military forces are gathered at the Russian-Ukrainian border and the risks of this situation at the address […]

Survey: 42% of the Romanians consider that Russia will invade Ukraine, 65% consider that invasion is illegitimate

The data of an Avangarde survey which measures the public perception on the situation in Ukraine, at the command of G4Media, shows that 42% of the interviewees think that Russia will invade Ukraine, only 29% considering that the invasion will not take place. 64% of the interviewees see Russia as a threat for Romania, while […]

Energy Minister informs EC of Romanian authorities' plans to step up support to final consumers

Energy Minister Virgil Popescu, attending on Saturday an informal meeting of the EU Energy and Environment Ministers in Amiens - France, informed the European Commission about the Romanian authorities' plans to adopt additional short-term measures to step up energy support to final consumers."We had a new round of ministerial debates on the EU energy price […]